Setting The Bar For Diesel Repairs
Diesel cars are well-known for their supreme reliability and consistent exceptional fuel efficiency. Diesel trucks are recognized for their superior towing, hauling, and payload along with the most durable operation you can expect. Whether you drive a diesel car or truck, there comes a time when repairs are necessary to keep your vehicle operating at peak performance.
When you need dependable diesel repairs, visit the professionals at Reliable Automotive. With auto shops in San Marcos, Kyle, and Buda, we offer a convenient dealer alternative for diesel repairs. You’ll always receive honest, no-nonsense customer service, while we continue to set the bar high for diesel repairs in Hays County.
Diesel Repair Services
Every day, you rely on your diesel vehicle to transport yourself, your passengers, and whatever cargo you’re moving around from A to B. To help keep your diesel car or truck running at its peak performance, we provide a wide range of diesel repairs and important maintenance services including:
- Diesel AC repair
- Diesel electric system issues
- Diesel brake repair
- Diesel engine repair
- Diesel truck repair
- Diesel transmission repair
- Diesel oil and filter changes
- And many more
Diesel trucks are great for hauling heavier loads. In general, diesel engines enjoy better fuel efficiency and longer lifespans. The best ways to protect your investment is to stick to the preventative maintenance schedule set by your vehicle’s manufacturer and never ignore any mechanical issues you’re experiencing.
Dedicated To Long-Lasting Diesel Repairs
At Reliable Automotive, your San Marcos mechanic, all diesel repairs are performed by ASE-Certified technicians with several years of experience in the unique services diesel engines require. From import cars with diesel engines to domestic diesel trucks, we have the knowledge and expertise along with precision tools and equipment required to ensure an accurate diesel repair every time we handle your vehicle.
Whether your Chevrolet Silverado needs its Duramax injectors replaced, your VW Jetta TDi is blowing black smoke, or your Cummins diesel in your Ram 3500 won’t start, our team has the skills to repair it for you.
We know you rely on your diesel repairs to keep you moving unquestionably. That’s why we always use Original Equipment or high-quality aftermarket parts and fluids for your diesel repairs.
The Reliable Automotive Advantage
At Reliable Automotive, our name says everything we think your diesel service experience should be. You should be able to rely on expert services, performed with high-quality parts and equipment, at fair and honest prices.
The following are a few of the benefits you can expect to receive when you trust your diesel vehicle with our service team.
- ASE-Certified Technicians for accurate A/C repairs
- Committed to complete customer satisfaction
- Cutting-edge automotive technology
- Locally owned and operated family business
- BBB member with A+ rating
- Jasper distributor
- Buda and San Marcos Chamber of Commerce member
- Authorized AC Delco Battery & Valvoline retailer
To us, Reliable Automotive is so much more than a name—it’s who we are and how we’ve provided service to our community since 2012. To experience this commitment firsthand and see why so many customers continue to trust us as their diesel mechanic of choice, schedule your diesel service appointment now at our San Marcos, Kyle, or Buda locations.
Preventative Maintenance To Keep Your Diesel Running Reliably
Preventative maintenance is the absolute best way to ensure your diesel vehicle will continue to provide years of useful service. At Reliable Automotive, we specialize in providing expert servicing when your vehicle needs important maintenance tasks performed.
Using the latest equipment and techniques, we’ll ensure your vehicle’s preventative maintenance tasks are performed quickly, thoroughly, and perfectly in-line with your vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations.
There are many different components on your diesel vehicle that require regular maintenance. A few of the common tasks to undertake as a diesel owner include;
- Keep an eye on coolant & engine fluid levels: diesel engines rely on coolant to prevent overheating which can lead to premature wear and tear on your engine’s sensitive components. Make sure to have your coolant and other vital engine fluid levels checked and flushed as often as required.
- Change ALL filters often: Diesel vehicles have great fuel efficiency, but you need to make sure to keep all your filters changed in order to maintain this benefit. Your diesel has fuel filters, air filters, and oil filters all designed to keep dirt and other debris from robbing your engine of fuel efficiency.
- Stick to a regular oil change schedule: While the exact timing interval can vary depending on the manufacturer of your diesel vehicle, it’s recommended to have the oil in your diesel engine replaced every 5,000 miles or every 6 months, whichever comes first. You can check your diesel engine oil via the dipstick under your hood. If the oil on the dipstick is dark, discolored, or has little specks in it, it’s a good idea to go ahead and get your oil and filter changed.
- Check your tire pressure: underinflated and overinflated tires will both have their own detrimental effects, so make sure you check your tire pressure and keep it according to your manufacturer’s recommended PSI. You can locate this information in your owner’s manual or on a placard affixed within your door jamb.
Sticking with a good plan for preventative maintenance will hands-down make your vehicle run at its best for as long as possible. Giving our ASE-certified mechanics more time under your hood lets us help spot and repair minor issues before they develop into major headaches.
Fleet Diesel Truck Repair
Whether you own an entire fleet of diesel trucks or are your own owner/operator, diesel truck owners need to be confident in the maintenance and repair services provided for their vehicles. Truck owners in our little corner of Texas know they can rely on the pros at Reliable Automotive to keep their rigs running better, longer.
We understand how vital these trucks are to your business and your livelihood which is why we strive to provide the very best diesel repair and maintenance services possible. When you need diesel truck repair in San Marcos, Kyle, or Buda, our team has the experience and precision tools to make sure the job’s done right.
Quality Parts And Product For Your Diesel
Diesel repair and maintenance services require utilizing the best parts and products available. We’ll only use high quality original equipment and aftermarket parts that are stringently tested to meet all quality assurance measures. By using better products from reputable and established manufacturers, we’re able to provide a better level of service for your diesel vehicle.
With our extensive network for receiving parts, we’re able to quickly and efficiency service your diesel. Some of the diesel parts we frequently replace, include diesel injection pumps, gasket sets, turbochargers, and more.
Signs It’s Time For A Diesel Repair
Sometimes unexpected issues come completely out of nowhere but there are a few signs that can point to the need for repairs to your diesel vehicle. As the driver of your vehicle, you’ll be the one most likely to spot when something is a little out of the ordinary.
Signs that your diesel may require service can include:
- Low engine oil: Diesel engines that are consuming more oil than normal can have a number of causes. A tell-tale sign your diesel is burning oil is a blue-ish smoke from your exhaust. We’ll look for things like oil leaks to see what could be causing the issue.
- Bad fuel efficiency: There are many causes around your vehicle that can degrade fuel economy. We’ll check things like your engine oil, tire pressure, and engine performance to see what services can be utilized to improve performance.
- Hearing strange noises: Hearing thumping, knocking, pinging, rattling, grading, or really any noise that’s out of the ordinary, is a clear indication that something is off in your vehicle. We’ll source the cause of the strange noise by checking over all of your diesel vehicle’s components, including the brakes, tires, and engine.
- Trouble braking: if you notice your vehicle is pulling to one side when braking or it’s simply taking longer than normal to come to a complete stop, it can mean it’s time to have your diesel’s brakes checked. Brake pads, brake calipers, brake rotors, and other important parts of your braking system need to be serviced and replaced periodically.
- Trouble shifting gears: When your vehicle isn’t running through its normal gear progression smoothly or if you’re feeling shaking or grinding when shifting, these can be signs your transmission requires service. If you notice anything out of the ordinary when shifting gears, it’s important to have your diesel’s transmission system checked as soon as possible.
- AC not blowing cold air: The Texas heat can be legendary and not having working AC is never pleasant. If your AC isn’t blowing it’s coldest, we’ll examine your entire system to see what requires service. We’ll check the refrigerant levels and pressure, as well as important components, like your compressor.
If you experience anything that you’re unsure about, bring in your vehicle and our team of ASE-certified professional mechanics will quickly figure out the cause of the issue and outline all your options for service and repair.
Your San Marcos Diesel Mechanic
Keep it local, keep it Reliable! For quality, affordable diesel repairs, visit the experts at Reliable Automotive, a Texas auto center in San Marcos, Kyle, or Buda. Call us today or use our convenient online appointment form to schedule your visit:
Diesel Engine Repair FAQ
The first thing is to pay attention! Don’t wait until the vehicle starts smoking or you suddenly lose oil pressure until you arrange a service. You can save time and money by scheduling regular service appointments to check critical systems before things go wrong.
A preventative car maintenance service check at Reliable Automotive includes:
- Compression checks to estimate the life of the engine.
- Monitoring of coolant levels.
- Assessing exhaust temperature.
- Checking oil pressure.
- Checking wheel alignment.
Ask our service staff to set up a schedule for your diesel engine maintenance plan now!
Often referred to as CAN, the Controller Area Network is an onboard computer that keeps a diesel engine’s electrical system working efficiently. There are bundles of sensors and wires to monitor things such as pressure, temperature, voltage, braking, yaw and roll of the vehicle, acceleration at various angles, and steering angle. The CAN overlays all the information.
Reliable’s diesel mechanics are trained to diagnose and maintain these electrical components to keep your truck on the road.
If your diesel engine performs moderate levels of, or little, towing, the recommendation for diesel pickup oil changes is between every 5,000–7,000 miles or six months, like most passenger vehicles.
However, many diesel mechanics do believe oil changes for trucks should be more frequent than those for passenger vehicles, especially if the truck tows heavy loads. Proper lubrication with high-quality grease for the suspension, drivetrain zerks, and steering will protect the engine and keep the vehicle working at peak proficiency without breakdowns. Routine maintenance checks must include constant vigilance for leaks and slop in drivetrain parts.
To be sure, check the owner’s manual for the manufacturer’s recommendation for your specific make and model of diesel vehicle. If you have questions as to the proper schedule for your diesel truck, discuss this with one of our ASE-certified diesel mechanics.
There are a number of differences. Here are the basics:
- A diesel engine is more complex and requires more maintenance services. It uses high compression to ignite the mixture in the cylinders. Gasoline engines use spark plugs.
- A diesel engine has more torque than a gasoline engine, due to the diesel engine’s use for hauling heavy loads.
- Gasoline engines are better than diesel engines at producing speed quickly.
- Diesel engines achieve great mileage, often more than 25% better than gas-powered engines.
- Diesel engines are often slower but stronger.
Here are some signs to look out for:
- Leakage in the coolant.
- Hard starts.
- Decrease in fuel performance.
- Decrease in engine performance.
Dirt, water, contamination, and airborne materials are common sources of trouble. Luckily, such problems are reversible. Filter replacement can ward off premature repairs, along with detergents designed to clean dirty fuel systems. The life of the fuel pumps and injectors will be maximized and there will also be a positive effect on power and fuel efficiency.
Smoke is caused by incomplete combustion. The smoke can be white, black, or blue/gray in color:
- White smoke contains droplets of unburned fuel caused by engine misfire when the temperatures are low. White smoke will disappear once the engine is warmed up.
- Black smoke results from faulty injectors, over loading/over fueling the engine, or insufficient air.
- Blue/gray smoke means the engine is in poor mechanical condition because the oil is burning.
Have any instance of smoke, no matter the color, checked by a Reliable Automotive diesel specialist.
Diesel fuel uses hydrocarbon molecules derived from petroleum crude oil. It most commonly refers to a distillate that is used in compression combustion engines or home heating systems. Diesel fuel is ignited in an internal combustion engine cylinder by the heat of air under high compression, while motor gasoline is ignited by an electrical spark.
Biodiesel is a clean-burning alternative fuel for diesel engines. It is made from animal fats or vegetable oils like soybean oil. Pure biodiesel contains no petroleum; it is biodegradable and nontoxic. There are biodiesel blends, too, made by mixing pure biodiesel with petroleum diesel. B-2 or B-5 means a 2% or 5% biodiesel blend. Most diesel engines can use biodiesel blends with no modifications. Check your equipment owner’s manual to be certain.
Reliable Automotive prides itself on keeping up with diesel technology and the pressure to continue developing low-emission vehicles, including diesel engines. We are a service center that understands the unique nature of diesel vehicles and how to care for them. Our shops have the latest specialized equipment to service these vehicles and our mechanics are constantly updating their training on diesel engine care and repairs.