Your Dealer Alternative For Engine Repairs
You drive through the streets of San Marcos, effortlessly weaving through rush hour traffic. Your throttle responds quickly and crisply and your car launches forward at your command. Then, without warning, your engine isn’t running so great anymore. You may notice a ticking or knocking noise, a stumble or misfire, or your engine may stall altogether. You need an engine diagnostic and repair.
Reliable Automotive is your best choice for engine repairs in San Marcos, Buda, Kyle, and the rest of Hays County. Our team members are honest and professional and are dedicated to your complete satisfaction. We perform trustworthy engine repairs at an affordable price, making us your dealer alternative when you need a professional to repair your engine in Hays County.
From minor engine repair on a compact car to a full tune-up HEMI truck’s engine, our professional ASE-certified technicians can help. Our team is experienced in all types of engine repairs, including:
- Fuel system and ignition system inspections
- Air filter replacement
- Fuel filter replacement (when applicable)
- Replacement of spark plugs
- Fuel system service
- Head gasket repair/replacement
We can help extend the life of your vehicle’s engine and keep you on the road. Schedule your engine repair service at Reliable Automotive today!
Trusted Technicians For Expert Engine Repairs
At Reliable Automotive, our technicians are ASE-Certified and have years of experience performing engine repairs on an assortment of makes and models. They use industry-approved repair methods and cutting-edge equipment to diagnose each engine concern you have so the appropriate repair can be performed the first time. This saves you the aggravation of repeat visits for the same problem.
Whether your Subaru Outback head gasket is leaking, your Ram 1500 HEMI engine needs a tune-up, or your GMC Terrain timing chains are rattling, we have the skill and expertise to get it fixed right.
Your engine is the foundation for your vehicle and you need to be able to depend on its operation every time you turn the key. For that reason, we only use high-quality aftermarket and Original Equipment parts and fluids for engine repairs.
Is Your Check Engine Light On?
Have you noticed that your vehicle’s Check Engine light has come on recently? It may show up in a variety of ways on your dash: “Check Engine,” “Service Engine Soon,” “Check Powertrain,” or even a shape of an engine with the word “Check.” This warning indicator is in place to alert you that your vehicle’s computer detected a malfunctioning component within your engine, specifically within the emission control system.
To pinpoint the exact problem, we use an electronic diagnostic scan tool to pull the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) from your vehicle’s computer. Some common causes for the light to come on include:
- A loose gas cap
- Water has gotten into your engine
- A faulty ignition coil or spark plugs
- Bad spark plug wires
- An elevated release of air pollutants or extreme fuel consumption
- Bad oxygen sensor (O2 sensor)
- Catalytic converter failure
- Engine vacuum leak
- EGR valve issue
If your Check Engine light is on, bring your vehicle to us as soon as possible and we can diagnose the problem and provide the necessary engine repair. Continuing to drive with your engine light on can cause further serious engine problems.
Regular Tune-Up Services Help Extend The Life Of Your Engine
Having regular tune-ups done on your engine will help maximize gas mileage, maintain proper power, and increase the overall life of your vehicle.
Previously, before electronic timing was introduced in vehicle engines, a “tune-up” consisted of replacing spark plugs and/or spark wires, the rotor, and the distributor cap. In modern vehicles, computerized timing components have replaced the distributor cap and rotor.
Tune-up services in today’s vehicles will still revolve around services that ensure your vehicle is running properly and as efficiently as possible. The specific services that will be performed on your vehicle during a tune-up will depend on the type of vehicle it is, how old it is, and the current condition of specific components. So, the prices of a tune-up may vary based on your vehicle and selected services.
A tune-up ensures that “little things” that are often overlooked are working correctly and are replaced if needed.
Here are some of the services that can be included in a typical tune-up:
- Replace the fuel filter: As the fuel filter gets clogged over time with particles, it can reduce the car’s efficiency and power.
- Replace the spark plugs and wires: Reduced mileage efficiency, a loss of power, and rough starts can result from bad plugs or plug wires.
- Replace the rotor and distributor cap: This only applies to older model vehicles that would still have these components.
- Check the ignition system and timing: Again, only applicable to older vehicles that rely on ignition timing.
- Adjust valves and check/replace gaskets: Bad valves or gaskets can allow too much oil to leak out and cause excessive engine friction and heat.
- Check and replace belts: All of the belts will be checked and those with signs of wear and tear will be replaced.
- Service the battery: The terminals and cables will be cleaned and distilled water added to the chambers.
- Check all engine fluids and top off as needed.
- Change the oil and oil filter if needed.
- Check and replace the air filter.
- Check and adjust the clutch in a manual transmission.
Depending on the age and mileage of the car, tune-ups are usually recommended at least every 30,000 miles or every two years. For exact specifications, check your vehicle’s owner’s manual for the specific manufacturer’s recommended tune-up interval.
The Reliable Automotive Advantage
- ASE-Certified Technicians for Accurate A/C Repairs
- Committed to Complete Customer Satisfaction
- Cutting-Edge Automotive Technology
- Locally Owned and Operated Family Business
- BBB Member with A+ Rating
- Jasper Distributor
- Buda and San Marcos Chamber of Commerce Member
- Authorized AC Delco Battery & Valvoline Retailer
Keep it local, keep it Reliable! For quality, affordable engine repairs, visit the experts at Reliable Automotive in San Marcos, Kyle, or Buda. Call us today or use our convenient online appointment form to schedule your visit.
Engine Repair FAQs
How can I tell if my engine needs a tune-up?
Located between the engine block and the cylinder head, the head gasket provides the critical seal between these two parts of your engine. Its purpose is to keep the combustion gases within the cylinders and prevent engine oil or coolant from leaking into the cylinders.
Your vehicle’s engine normally runs in conditions that cause intense heat. If this heat becomes excessive and your engine starts to overheat, it can cause a blown head gasket. The excessive heat causes the engine block and cylinder head to expand too much, resulting in a failure in the head gasket. Head gasket failure can also be caused by detonation, which damages the fire rings or armors and allows cylinder pressure to leak past the armors.
Some symptoms of a blown head gasket include:
- Thick, white smoke coming from the tailpipe
- Engine overheating
- Loss of engine power
- Unexplained coolant loss with no visible leaks in the cooling system
- Bubbling in the coolant reservoir and radiator
- White milky coloration to the oil
- Streaks of coolant and/or oil running down from the gasket
If you are experiencing any of these things in your engine, do not continue to drive the vehicle. This can cause further costly damage or even total engine failure. Get the vehicle into your closest Reliable Auto location as soon as possible.
What happens when you have a “blown” head gasket?
More than likely, your vehicle will seem like it is not running like it used to. Some indicators that it is time to bring in your vehicle for a tune-up can include:
- Warning lights: You may have one or more warning lights illuminated on your dashboard. Some of the lights indicate minor issues but, if the Check Engine light is on, there’s an issue within the engine that you should not ignore. You don’t want a smaller problem turning into a much larger and costly issue.
- Diminished fuel mileage: If you notice you are not getting the same fuel mileage as you were before, there’s probably an engine issue that should be addressed.
- Hesitation during acceleration: If you press the gas pedal and the vehicle hesitates before moving, it might not be getting the proper power, fuel, or airflow that it needs. A tune-up service can usually help resolve this issue.
- Unusual sounds: Are you hearing unusual sounds like squealing, knocking, or pinging coming from your engine? This could be an indicator of an issue. Bring your vehicle in and one of our expert technicians can determine exactly what the problem may be.
- Engine stalling: Is your car stalling? An engine stall can be caused by a lack of power from the battery, ignition issues, or a fuel pump issue. If this happens, bring your vehicle to our nearest service center location as soon as possible.
- Engine misfiring: A misfire happens when an engine cylinder does not properly provide power to your vehicle. A problem in the fuel system, bad ignition, or an engine defect can all cause an engine misfire. You may feel a loss of power or shaking sensation when this happens. If your engine is misfiring, it cannot be ignored. Doing so can cause much more extensive and costly damage to your engine.
If any of the above things are happening in your vehicle, schedule your appointment for engine service at Reliable Automotive as soon as possible. We can help prevent further engine damage and keep your vehicle safely on the road.