Reliable Automotive in San Marcos offers the best oil change service in the area. Your vehicle is a major investment and it can be advantageous to maintain it with the help of the most qualified auto shop in the area.
Schedule an appointment for a full-service oil change today. Then, check out our coupon and savings page to find great deals on many services.
Routine Oil Change Maintenance Is the Key
The primary source of information you can use to care for your car is the owner’s manual. Here you will find recommendations on the frequency of oil changes and what kind of oil to choose. Generally, older vehicles use conventional oil, with oil changes every 3,000 miles or so. Newer cars and trucks use a synthetic or synthetic-blend oil, which can increase the time between changes by up to 7,500 miles.
It may surprise many drivers that the way they drive a vehicle also has an effect on an oil change schedule. More frequent oil changes are necessary if the vehicle tows heavy loads, makes frequent short trips, or is required to regularly drive difficult terrain. Another factor is the climate in which you live. Extreme climates demand more of a vehicle’s engine and it’s important for the oil to be kept clean to protect the engine.
Oil Changes Protect the Engine
Clean oil protects the engine in your car by:
- Keeping the car’s engine from overheating.
- Keeping dirt and debris from building up inside of the engine and its components.
- Keeping the engine free of rust and other corrosion.
- Reducing friction in the engine by providing a layer of oil over all the engine parts.
Having the oil changed in your car is a cost-effective investment. Don’t put it off and risk having to pay much larger repair bills later. Even better, Reliable Auto offers oil change coupons that can make your vehicle services even more affordable.
The Type of Oil Matters, Too
Many drivers simply keep using the same type of oil without ever giving it any thought. But the age of any vehicle and how it is used matters in the choice of oil and the needs change over time. Our service staff at Reliable Auto can help you decide which oil is best for your car:
- Synthetic Oil is developed through a chemically-engineered process. It works better in high temperatures with fewer impurities.
- Synthetic Blend Oil contains both synthetic and conventional oil and is highly effective in low temperatures. It results in less oxidation than conventional oil.
- High-mileage Oil helps reduce oil burn-off and prevents leaks in older cars. It is designed for newer cars or those with very high mileage.
- Conventional Oil: is recommended for simple engine designs and regular driving styles. It is available in a wide range of viscosity grades and quality levels.
The Connection Between Oil Leaks and Oil Changes
Clean oil in your car can also protect against some oil leaks. Oil can become dirty over time from putting off its oil changes, then it can turn into sludge. This sludge puts pressure on the oil gasket and its seal eventually fails. Unfortunately, this results in oil leaks, which can be preventable.
Another point of potential oil leaks is the oil filter. If the filter isn’t installed properly or the wrong size is used, oil can leak around it. Don’t worry, you can rely on the mechanics at Reliable Auto to choose the right size and make sure the fittings are tight.
Reliable Automotive Is the Best Oil Change Shop in San Marcos
Our professional, experienced oil change service technicians welcome the chance to partner with you in caring for your vehicle. Come to our shop in San Marcos and let us set a maintenance schedule for all your service needs.
San Marcos Oil Change FAQs
How often do you really need an oil change?The recommended frequency for an oil change service varies according to several factors, such as the age of your vehicle and your usual driving conditions. You can check your owner’s manual for the manufacturer’s guidance or consult one of our San Marcos oil change pros.
In general, late-model cars and trucks that use synthetic oil can go 5,000 miles or even more between oil changes. For older vehicles that are more likely to have high engine mileage, changing the oil every 3,000 to 5,000 miles may be best.
As for driving habits or conditions, you may need to have your oil changed more often if you frequently:
- Make a lot of short trips
- Drive in stop-and-go traffic
- Drive on dusty roads
- Haul or tow heavy loads
- Drive in extreme weather conditions, such as high temperatures
If you have a newer car, you probably have a system that monitors the life of your oil. The most advanced of these systems do more than track time and mileage—they can also take into account your vehicle’s operating conditions to better analyze when the oil is degrading. Keep in mind that longer oil change intervals may make it easier to neglect to monitor your oil level. We recommend that you check your oil every month and top it off if the level is low. If you believe your vehicle is consuming oil too quickly, make an appointment at our San Marcos location, and we’ll determine the cause.
Is synthetic oil really better?In many cases, yes. These are just some of the advantages of using synthetic oil:
- The low viscosity allows it to flow more quickly and easily than conventional oil and synthetic blends that have higher viscosity. This faster flow allows engine components to turn more quickly.
- It is slower to break down, so it stays effective longer than other types of oil.
- It flows well in colder temperatures and can withstand higher temperatures.
- It offers engines greater protection from strain, which helps if you haul heavy loads or use your car or truck for towing.
If you’re unsure whether synthetic oil is best for your vehicle, our San Marcos mechanics will be glad to make their recommendation.
Will my car run better after an oil change?If you’ve been driving with old, dirty oil, you should be able to notice the difference when using clean oil and a new oil filter. Improved fuel efficiency is one of the benefits of an oil change, but the most important one is that your engine will be protected from potential damage caused by unlubricated moving parts.
Once your oil can no longer do its job of removing carbon, acids, dirt, and debris from your engine and your oil filter becomes clogged, your car or truck won’t be able to run properly. If you’re overdue for an oil change, schedule an appointment at our San Marcos location today. Be sure to check for our latest money-saving oil change coupons before you come in.